In the early days of the school, the school was different altogether from how it is today, the campus featured many different buildings and was served for each type of learning specialties. The school was called Hollywood Union High School when it first opened its doors. From buildings with columns and a non-fenced campus, the school was a whole lot different.
Going back to the early years of the school, the school was established as an official campus in 1904 according to the National Register of Historic Places with the Administration Building completed in 1905. The Administration Building was one of the main building was located at current SAS Building on Highland Ave.
Later, the campus was expanded with the construction of the auditorium, Domestic and Fine Arts, Mechanics, Science Hall and many more.
Most of the campus was demolished due to the earthquake that damaged the building severely in the Long Beach Earthquake of 1933. Buildings that were demolished included the Domestic and Fine Arts, Mechanics, Science Hall, and the original Gymnasium.
These building were demolished and were replaced by “PWA Modern architectural style,” stated in
the National Register of Historic Places file: the current day SAS Building (Administration Building), 300 Bungalows (Science Hall), current Gym (Household [Domestic] and Fine Arts Building), TCA Building (Empty land), and the Art Building (Old Gym). The current day library used to be the auditorium in the early days of the school.
Other things that were different in the past was that Orange Ave was called Orlando Ave before. Further Hollywood High School was registered as a part of the National Register of Historic Places few years ago.
The photos below show more buildings that were part of the original campus.
Find out more about the Hollywood High School’s recognition as a part of the National Register of Historic Places